Monday, May 26, 2014

Evolving Robots

I find myself using the phrase 'when things settle down and get back to normal' an awful lot lately. I noticed myself saying it an awful lot last year too. I'm still waiting.

If you're wondering where I've been the past while, most of my 'free time' is spent doing things for www.roverwashere.com  and I find myself struggling to even keep up with even that.

I've finally found myself in that place where most artists probably found themselves at long ago- a question of speed. I've long looked for the quickest ways  to get colours on the page and then clean up later, or clean line and colour like a comic. The former always infuriated me, as my colours were too loose for my taste, and getting a lineless look from lines required significantly more time to polish.

I want to keep the quality in Rover high, so it means something has gotta give. I'm putting more effort into thumbnails and studies, and to date that ALWAYS improves the end result. I'm forcing myself to be bolder in my colour choices, deliberately playing on contrasting hues and tones more than I would have. Having the cintiqs definitely makes this easier, as there's a definite removal of a mental block when it comes to painting.

Rover's design is shifting in small ways from week to week, and I'm totally cool with that; it's one of the main reasons he was made as a robot in the first place. Soon I'm going to start asking for help collaborating on some animated and 3d Rover bits, so if you want in drop me an email and we can sort something out.

Right, sleepy time!  Catch ye later!

No comments:

Post a Comment